As a Christian with a biblical world view, it has been very disturbing to see the direction our country is heading. An example is the “Equality Act” which was recently debated in the House of Representative. It would essentially amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which states that you may not discriminate against someone in regards to employment, housing, education, credit, etc., and would add to that list sexual orientation and gender identity, forcing everyone to accept as normal, the LGBTQ and Transgender community.
During the debate on the House floor, prior to voting on the bill, Republican Greg Steube stood up and condemned them for their open rebellion against God. He said: “When men or women claim to be able to choose their own sexual identity, they are making a statement that God did not know what He was doing when He created them. The gender confusion in our culture today is a clear rejection of God’s design. Whenever a nation’s laws no longer reflect the standards of God, that nation is in rebellion against Him and will inevitably bear the consequences. We are seeing the consequences of rejecting God here in our country today!” (Amen! Rep. Steube nailed it!). Then something really shocking (but not surprising) happened and it reflects where much of our country is right now. Representative Jerry Nadler, in response, said, “What any religious tradition describes as God’s will is no concern of this congress!”
I am reminded of Psa. 33:12: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD” and Pr. 14:34: “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.” I also pulled out my file of quotes from our founding fathers and past presidents. Here are a few that are applicable:
1) “The propitious smiles of heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which heaven itself has ordained” (George Washington in his inaugural address April 30, 1789).
2) “It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible” (President George Washington).
3) “Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society” (President George Washington).
4) “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves” (President Abraham Lincoln).
5) “I’ve lived a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth—that God governs in the affairs of men” (Benjamin Franklin…cf Pr. 21:1; Dan. 4:33-35).
6) “We have staked the whole future of our new nation, not upon the government, far from it. We have staked the future of our political institutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments” (James Madison).
7) “That book, sir, is the rock on which our republic rests” (Andrew Jackson, on his deathbed, in reference to the Bible).
8) “If we ever forget that we are ‘One Nation Under God,’ then we will be a nation gone under” (President Ronald Reagan).
9) “We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other” (President John Adams).
Erwin Lutzer, pastor of Moody Church, in his book What Happens When a Nation Forgets God, writes: “When God is separated from government, judgment follows” Ann Graham Lotz (daughter of Billy Graham) wrote this: “How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?” (Amen!) It is easy for us—politicians included—to say, “God bless America,” but it will only happen to the extent that the people—including the political leaders—are willing to bless and honor God. Unfortunately, as reflected by the “Equality Act,” and Nadler’s comment, God and His Word are being squeezed out of every level of our culture: government, education, entertainment, and the main stream media. Statements such as the one made by Rep. Nadler, are really saying, “in Your face, God. We don’t care what you have to say. We are going to do as we well please!” Hmm, that sounds a bit familiar. Remember the period of spiritual darkness in Israel’s history when “everyone did that which was right in their own eyes” (Judges 21:25)? So, how did that go? Check out the book of Judges and see!
When God speaks, He doesn’t stutter! He says what He means and He means what He says. His Word says, “And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them” (Gen. 1:27). For Adam, God provided Eve, and performed the first wedding, bringing them together as one (Gen. 2:18-23). To mess with gender identity or marriage of one man and one woman, is to pervert what God has done. As we see from the current trend in our culture, we are in trouble. God have mercy! Pray much for our nation and leaders. Pray for hearts to be turned to God. That is the only answer.